Friday 30 December 2011

Education methods are evolving, like it or not!

When I began my education as a 4 year old I was sat in front of a wooden table with an ink well, the legacy of a bygone era of quils and ink. Nowadays the classroom environment abounds with projectors, laptops and interactive whiteboards. Education has moved so far in such a short period of time (I am not a dinosaur that schooled in the 1910's. Really!!!).

When I completed my junior school there was one computer in the classroom that was shared between 30 children and was rarely turned on because the teacher just didn't get it. Now I am sat on a laptop routinely pouring out a stream of consciousness relating to the current state of education in the 21st Century. A state where you can do a degree online, where essays are emailed to tutors for perusal and physical presence is no longer required.

Search for "online university usa"
The best online schools have amazing online functionality for sharing documents and imparting learning that incorporate fundamental psychological principles. All this adds up to a schooling system which can be more cost effective, more efficient and just maybe could open up education to more people around the world. Gone are the days when the likes of the UK Open University were the only choices for learning at distance. A simple search on google shows how huge the online education market has become.

Like it or not education is movin online. Personally, I am a traditionalist. I love the lecture hall far more than the webinar. I love the group tutoring session sat in circles far more than than the Skype conference call. But sadly I think I am in the minority and the drivers pushing the move online are so powerful that momentum is building fast. With the ever improving technology and internet connection speeds maybe my grandchildren will describe the univeristy classroom environment with fondess harking back to a bygone era when Degrees were done in person. Well maybe I am going a bit far but you get my point...

No comments:

Post a Comment