Saturday 12 November 2011

Earning Your Masters Degree While Working


Immediately after I finished my bachelor's degree, I got hired in a telecommunications company in another city. I was so excited, for that was my first formal job. After several months of working, I realized that I could still do some more. I should not be contented for what I already have when I can still further my career by ‘running’ the corporate ladder rather than taking many years in ‘climbing’ it. Instead of working from one company to another, I contemplated that a master’s degree will lead me to a better position within the company I was working for. And so, I enrolled to a 2-year post graduate study. Since I work from Monday to Friday, I chose the Saturday classes.


Many people are going back to school these days. These people have common objectives in their minds. First, they wanted to re-tool their skills. And another thing is, they wanted to upgrade their academic credentials in order to better compete in the job market.



As a professional, a master’s degree is an important addition to your resume. Many schools have developed their graduate level programs catered for working professionals who either are working full time or have family obligations.

Here are some suggestions on how you will obtain your master’s degree while you are working.

1.  Check for your online options. With the changing patterns in higher education, more and more traditional universities are getting into online education. But in case you are a classroom person, you have many options there too.

2.  For a full time student, a master’s degree could be completed in two years time. In your case as a part time student, you will be able to complete it in three years. You can choose your program by attending your classes in the evening, weekend or through online. 

3. Nowadays, most career degree programs have their new class scheduling standards. Classes are in 8-week modules for many online programs and professional part time master’s degree programs. 

4.    You can enroll at six different times within a year in an online program with  8-week courses. You don’t have to wait for a fall semester to roll around. This format is very effective because a class work is an all year round activity, which means you can finish six classes in a year time, taken on part time basis. You will be able to finish twelve to fifteen class programs in 2 to 2 ½ years. Makes sense? Well, yes!

5.   One advantage for an online program is that you can watch a lecture or a class presentation anytime and anywhere as long as you have the internet access. Also, you can communicate with your instructors and your classmates.


A good quality of master’s degree under reputable online programs can make a graduate level education an addition to your life without you having to sacrifice family time and work obligations.




Prepared by: Liezel Magno Castro

No comments:

Post a Comment