Friday 25 November 2011

I Do Something Fishy

As I went to get a glimpse of the new mall in town, I went to a new toy shop and bought my kids these sticky-glowing creatures which I know they would die for. Haha! Sounds like my kids love gooey things? They definitely do! I am proud that I can make my kids happy even with the cheapest toys around. Hey, it's the thought that counts!

While I was taking their pictures with their gooey little pals this afternoon, it actually dawned on me how we are exactly like those small creatures in real life. Like this pink fish here, I can't help but wonder how I personally would "fish for compliments." There are times when I would jokingly praise my work for everyone to hear as if to encourage them to see the beauty of my work.

I know it's not a good practice but I sometimes need it to keep my confidence on the run. Admit it or not, we all feel the need to fish for compliments one time or another in our lives so that all the negative emotions that scare us would go away.  I also admit that when someone tells me that my written story is particularly good, I feel the urge to do another and hopefully, better.

I'll say, I just wait for the right time for any person to ingest what I'm trying to get at until this person is hilariously obligated to build me up. Sounds like a plan? It sure will work with you. To receive any form of praise for doing something better is very rewarding indeed.  It’s something I learned from being an elementary school teacher.  You know when the kids would tell me they learned something new or that they understood the lesson easily because I injected fun in the lessons, it’s like next to getting an award.  Sounds exaggerated but true!

As a freelance writer, I will never stop to learn new things and strategies from my clients.  They suggest a few things that may not always be what I think is best but if it will show their personality then I make sure to include the information.   

The same goes when I do things for my kids.  Well, it’s when I listen to their interests and things they tell me which they think are better that makes my work genuinely attractive.  This comes from personal experience and you may find it applicable to you too no matter what career choice you make.

Oh, no, I'm not getting away from being an online teacher my friends. This little-pink-gooey fish is not here for your eyes only but with a purpose. "Fish for compliment" is an idiomatic expression you may have heard of and try to use it this time.  Wait 'til you see how others see how good you are in speaking or writing.

I'm gonna play with my kids again now. You know, they’re my A-1 fans. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment