Friday 25 November 2011

To Be or Not to Be: the Benefits of Living in College Dormitory

Am I going to live on my own this year? Do I really need a lot of freedom from my parents?  Is it really gonna be exciting or would I just end up broke with a gurgling stomach?  Well, these are the same questions that rammed into my head a few weeks before going to college.  I know I have to weigh the pros and cons but let me tell you that living in a dormitory could have the best benefits while you’re learning to live the real life.  

It begins with your social life and trust me when I say you’ll get into a lot of activities both in and out of the school campus.  It’s tough enough to get into a circle but it’s tougher to get your own solid group.  Don’t get me wrong, but it’s like war out there where the fittest survive so be ready to find your way in events and parties.  Hey, college life is not just all about partying but it’s the gateway to establish relationships with important people and genuine friends.  I did and was proud of myself as I made wise decisions gaining friendship with a bunch of good guys. 

Then you have to take your safety and security in consideration while you live on your own.  In general, living inside the campus with all the lights turned on every alley at night, is really safe.  You know it is because you are with the same college students within the walls, thanks to our 'front desk student ID checkers' who are strict with their entrance policy.  On top of that there are security guards all over the campus to check on suspicious activities and I don’t have to worry about my proximity to classes.  Just make sure you don’t break the curfew!

As you get a taste of adult life, the task is on you to be responsible for your well-being.  Hold your silly faces but I know at home you still ask Mom to do the laundry, but college dorm life means you have to keep your own room in seriously A-OK shape.  It’s funny how we learn strategies in life not through the books but with how we segue into the real world.  Our early childhood education never had a topic about living away from home.  Hey, that’s how I was forced to grow up.  I don’t have my parents to nag at me so I have to take charge of my own life.   What’s good about living inside the campus is that you have all the support you need for authority coaching from counselors and dormitory RAs. You know there are moments when you need parental emergency advice and they’re the best source away from home.  

I’m not a nerd but I never had problems with homework, projects and report for I have easy access to valuable campus resources.  Especially when there’s a paper due in 3 hours, you can just run to the library near your dormitory and you’ll surely do your report even while half asleep. Oh that’s an overstatement, but at least you have the photo labs and workshops to use anytime. 

Honestly, there are a lot of setbacks living a college dorm life because it could be overwhelming at times.  There is so much to study on top of the errands you have to do on your own.  Then you have to live with restrictions of course.  I don’t like rules but if it will make me a better person, which it did, then I abide by them.  And I have to live frugally and almost save a boat of money so that I can buy my needs and get ready after college too.  

At the end of the day, you just simply have to choose between your comfort zone and the life out of the box.  It’s a difficult decision to make I know, and dorm life is not for everyone.  You are the only one who knows your personality and what you want.  Never let the stereotyped college experience dictate what you should do next.  


No comments:

Post a Comment