Saturday 12 November 2011

Top 5 Time Saving Shortcuts for the Working Moms

I am a very organized person.  I have a planner where I write my schedule for the week.  I use the Outlook calendar to check my kids’ homework and other school activities.  I have a cork board for mails and b ills to make sure they are paid on time.  On top of those, the fridge is covered with piles of post it notes and magnets.  Why do I do all these? To make sure that I never miss any errand at home and still beat all my work deadlines.   My life is fully booked with family and work demands, so an extra hour for just for me is crucial to keep my sanity.  

If you are a working mom and a housewife like me, getting your ‘me time’ is very important to keep you recharged and ready for action every day.  If you already feel burned out, then it’s time to switch off the mommy button and re-energize.  You can do this by taking a few shortcuts.  Here are a few tips you can follow.  It may sound very simple but you will be amazed at how much time it can give you back after you have applied some of the tips to other chores you have at home.  

  •  Pre-cut ingredients that you will use to cook for the whole week.  You can do this right after you have unpacked the groceries.  Cooking is a tough job, but it’s something I do to make up for the packed lunches and cafeteria food my family eat during the day.  Most of the food I cook includes onions so I make sure to get a food processor for this which you can also use for chopping celery, carrots, potatoes and more.  

  • Assess your daily routine to find your time wasters.  Make a list of all the activities that waste your precious time.  Do you spend a lot of time doing the grocery? List down the items you need each time your stock is up.  Then you’ll just have to bring the list when you do the groceries.  Do you spend at least 15 minutes looking for your car keys? Use an all-in-one catch tray to put your keys so it will be easy for you to pick it up when you go.  

  • Sort your laundry right away.  Keep the light colored ones in one hamper and the dark ones in another.  Ask your kids to do the same in their room so you just have to throw them in the washer and dryer.  

  • Delegate simple tasks to kids.  Five and six year old kids are old enough to be trained with chores at home.   You can delegate putting away the garbage before going to bed, placing used plates and glasses inside the dishwasher after dinner, folding the clean laundry, or even fixing their own beds.  Treat this as one of their early childhood education.

  • Designate errands each week.  Choose the perfect time to go to the bank, pay the bills, do the groceries, and yes even the gym.  Once you’ve done this, stick to your scheduled task for the week to clear your mind with stress.  

These are just a few of my time saving rituals that may help you as well to save time which you can use for your personal activities.  You will see that soon you can have your own time to watch the television, read a book or even just pamper yourself with an afternoon jog or a trip the spa.  Believe me, even an hour for yourself is just as important as the whole week.




By: Cleo Capili

1 comment:

  1. i love people who are organized. they've got sense of direction in their lives and have very positive outlook about life. i am in a way an OC and i believe that it is one disorder that does me good and the organized people ;)

    ReplyDelete